Freshman Kickoff
Game Night :)
My first campus activity or social event was the first week of school. I attended Freshman Kickoff. I really enjoyed it because it was my introduction to college life. Kick off started the 13th of August. We moved in on Thursday, the first day, which was a very hot and long day. It took about 3 hours to get all my things moved in. Luckily, I had my parents to help me. After move in, we had dinner in Ellis. I ate with my friend, Timmy. I did not enjoy Ellis and it is across campus from my dorm. I don’t usually eat at Ellis, but I eat at Todd. The next few days we attended sessions where some people talked to us. They recommended that we get involved and always attend class. All the freshmen also attended the convocation. The convocation was an assembly for all us on the quad. After that we were separated and all the people in the Education majors walked to Lovinger. We separated again by secondary, elementary, middle, and early childhood majors. I was with other people in my major in the Lovinger gym. We were able to meet some of our future professors. I also won a Visa card in a goody bag. The day was full of information and it was a long day. At the end of the day, a couple of my friends and I attended Game Night at the Rec. The picture I included with this is my friends, Erika and Timmy, playing life size checkers. Game night was a good way to end the day. The next day was Saturday and I spent most of that day meeting new people. I played Uno with a couple of people on my floor and we had a great time. I spent a lot of time on Sunday preparing for classes. My first week of classes were after kick off weekend. My friends and I went to Walmart and got some last minute things we needed. All of my classes were great and I enjoy most of them. I am very thankful for attending Kickoff because it prepared me for the upcoming weeks. I had many opportunities to meet people and get out of my comfort zone. I am also grateful that I was able to move in early. Move in was stressful and I am happy I didn’t have to move in the day before classes start. I would recommend to future freshmen to sign up for kick off. It made the transition very easy. I thought moving out and leaving my family would be hard, but it wasn’t as bad because I was occupied with all of the things they planned for us. I would also recommend that the future freshman attend all the events. It is very easy to just lay in bed all day and skip, but it is more fulfilling knowing that you are meeting people and receiving great information about the campus and college lifestyle. I have met many people on my floor and in my classes. Meeting new people is challenging, but it is so important. It’s important because it’s hard having the feeling of being alone. It’s common to be lonely at times, but having that great group of friends around can change the situation. I am very comfortable at UCM and I believe that Kickoff is the reason. It gave me a jumpstart into my new life.
I am so glad you enjoyed Kickoff and that you feel at home here at UCM.
ReplyDelete